Savory isn’t a flavor that usually comes to mind when thinking of cupcakes or other baked goods and treats, but that doesn’t have to be the case. As cupcakes as a brand continue to sweep the country and become ever more popular owners and chefs have to continually come up with new, innovative ideas to keep the trend fresh and exciting in the eyes of the consumer. Enter the lasagna cupcake. While not necessarily a new idea the lasagna cupcake is the perfect twist on a regular sweet cupcake to get consumers excited and out to their local cupcake shop or bakery.
No one wants to devote the time and energy required to make a whole pan of lasagna when more often than not you’ll tire of all the leftovers after a couple days and then it just feels like a waste, making lasagna cupcakes the perfect substitute for a family gathering or addition to any party.
This savory is treat is crafted using wonton wrappers nestled in muffin tins to create that classing layered element lasagna is known for. The original recipe calls for beef, but that can easily be swiped out for something that suits your unique tastes. You could even substitute zucchini or another vegetable to create a delectable vegetarian version.
Recipe via tablespoon.com
- 1/3 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 24 wonton wrappers or boiled lasagna noodles (about 6-8)
- 1 3/4 cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 3/4 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup jarred pasta sauce
- Basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Brown beef, and season with salt and pepper. Drain.
- Cut wonton wrappers or lasagna noodles into circle shapes (about 2 1/4- inches) using a biscuit cutter or the top of a drinking glass. You can cut several at a time. Note: For a more rustic look, no cutting necessary!
- Reserve 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese for the top of the cupcakes. Start layering the lasagna cupcakes. Begin with a wonton wrapper and press it into the bottom of each muffin tin. Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese, ricotta cheese, and mozzarella cheese in each. Top with a little meat and pasta sauce.
- Repeat layers again (i.e. wonton, Parmesan, ricotta, mozzarella and pasta sauce). Top with reserved Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. To remove, use a knife to loosen the edges, then pop each lasagna out.
- Garnish with basil and serve. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)
215 calories; 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 46 percent calories from fat); 12 g carbohydrates; 1 g sugar; 39 mg cholesterol; 533 mg sodium; 16 g protein; 0.5 g fiber.
Have you or will you be trying these scrumptious lasagna cupcakes? Leave a comment below!